In order to be empathic leaders, we need to be willing to experience and understand other’s emotions. In addition, we also have to be willing to be vulnerable and be open to revealing our emotions to others. Use this prayer circle experience to develop empathy with others as you grow closer to God and to each other in community.
Have everyone gather in a circle. Read a series of statements (below) and ask those who feel it applies to them to take a step toward the middle. Take a moment to silently pray for those who stepped forward then repeat with the next statement. Between each round, have those who stepped forward previously return to the circle so others can stop toward the middle.
1. You are experiencing a general sense of peace in your life right now.
2. You are feeling a sense of uncertainty in an area of your life right now.
3. At work you are struggling with something difficult right now.
4. Your family or extended family is experiencing conflict right now.
5. You are praying for discernment about your calling or sense of purpose.
6. You are busy, hurried, and time-starved.
7. You are experiencing a season of intimacy in your walk with the Lord right now.
8. You are struggling to keep up – emotionally, physically, or socially.
9. You are being pushed outside of your comfort zone and that is causing some anxiety.
10. You are extremely grateful for the blessings God has given you.